Key Stage 5
Key Stage 5
A Level Media Studies
This course provides a suitable foundation for the study of Media Studies or a related area through a range of higher education degree courses; progression to the next level of applied qualifications (e.g. some degree and HND courses); or direct entry into employment. In addition, the course provides a coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study for candidates who do not wish to further study in this subject.
The course is designed to allow media students to draw on their existing experience of the media and to develop their abilities to respond critically to the media. It enables students to explore a wide variety of media, including digital media technologies, drawing on the fundamental concepts informing the study of the media: texts, industry and audiences.
The subject is designed to encourage candidates to:
- Enhance their enjoyment and appreciation of the media and its role in their daily lives.
- Develop critical understanding of the media through engagement with the media through engagement with media products and concepts and through the creative application of production skills
- Explore production processes, technologies and other relevant contexts
- Become independent in research skills and their application in their production work and in developing their own views and interpretations
WJEC AS GCE & A Level GCE Media Studies - Assessment
Unit % of qualification Method of assessment % of full A Level
Media Representations and Responses 50% Examination 25%
Media Production Processes 50% Coursework 25%
Media Investigation and Production 50% Coursework 25%
Media, Text, Industry and Audience 50% Examination 25%
Candidates must meet the following assessment objectives throughout the course :
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of media concepts, contexts and critical debates.
- Apply knowledge and understanding when analysing media products and processes, and when evaluating their own practical work, to show how meanings and responses are created.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan and construct media products using appropriate technical and creative skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to undertake, apply and present appropriate research.
The Media Suite houses 9 x PC's, 5 x Mac Minis & 4 x g4 Macs. Students have access to digital video cameras and still cameras as well as specialist software for production of audio-visual media texts and animation.