The Learning Resource Centre aims to support learning and teaching across the school and wider community, acting as the hub of the school as we move towards personalised, deep learning.
The Learning Resource Centre offers a vibrant and inspirational environment for teaching and learning.
We are open from 8am-4pm every day and provide the following:
- A wide selection of current and exciting fiction and non-fiction books with many titles also available as audio books.
- Computers for research, school/homework and printing
- Help with research and school/homework
- Competitions and prizes.
- Book Club
- Film Club.
- The Essex Book Award Reading Group
- Author visits
- Homework Club
The Learning Resources Centre actively encourages students to:
- Be proactive, flexible learners.
- Develop online and hard copy research skills.
- Develop ICT skills.
- Develop an active interest in subjects taking them beyond what teachers have provided in the classroom.
- Access to up to date information on a diverse range of subjects.
- Be independent learners.
The LRC celebrates all national reading events including World Book Day and we are also involved in the Essex Book Award which is organised by the School Library Service. Students who take part in this meet the winning author at the award presentation.
We also have our own LRC reading schemes and competitions for the pupils to take part in, which earn them house points and prizes. Together with lunchtime games and activities, after school film clubs and Author of the Month promotions, the Hylands School Learning Resource Centre is a vibrant learning environment which staff and pupils all enjoy using.